Thursday, May 27, 2010

Kim Magrini: Here's a day in the life of me

When I’m not training or practicing, I’m honing my professional skills.  I’m currently a law student at the Earle Mack School of Law at Drexel University in Philadelphia.  Soon to be a real lawyer with a real job, something I’ve never experienced – a real income!!  I basically live in a wonderful bubble of eternal student-hood.  And I love it. 

So my day consists of walking to school – every day I walk past the famous Rocky steps at the Philadelphia Museum of Art (they currently have a Picasso exhibit which is spectacular). 


I sit in my business organization law class where we talk about smart things like corporate morality (or lack thereof). 
  “always the vigilant student…”

After class I walk to my practical legal clinic office, making a stop at Trader Joe’s to taste whatever they are sampling that day – my life largely revolves around food.  Anyway, my clinic work deals with environmental justice and public health.  We basically represent environmental justice communities – lower income or minority communities that suffer a disproportionate amount of environmental risks or hazards – and help ensure the environmental and public health and safety of these communities.  Some of the work is office work, legal research, and writing.  But the best part of this clinic is the interaction we have with the people of the communities we represent – makes for very rewarding work!!

“Don’t be an idiot.  It changed my life.” – Dwight Schrute, The Office

I basically walk everywhere I go around the city.  And I am constantly searching for loose change along the way, which I put in a can and add up after an entire year (last year I found $35.88!!).


After a full day, I take my beautiful walk home out of center city and through tree lined parkland, hopefully picking up a few pennies along the way, or even a quarter if I’m lucky!  I love my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment